Saturday, April 17, 2010

An Evening with the All-State Band

Last night I watched my oldest son play alto sax in the 2010 Tennessee All-State Band. Looking down on the stage full of young musicians, I thought about the impact that this wonderful event will have on my son.



When I was in the All-State Band my senior year in high school in Texas, that was the single greatest performance on my band instrument. I have't played my band instrument since we got married over 20 years ago. I'm sure most of the musicians that played with me on that concert many years ago had similar experiences and haven't played much since. I'm sure some continued to play and are sitting in some of the finest orchestras around today.

For me, I remember sitting on that stage, playing this incredible music, with my fellow musicians and feeling a wonderful sense of knowing that I wanted to be a musician all my life. And, for the most part, I have been--from then until even today. It's taken many forms but being a musician is what I was made to be. I couldn't be more grateful.

At the concert last night the emcee read a quote that said "Music is not a lavish luxury--something that we fund and support with left over dollars and left over time. It is as vital to our being as breathing and food. It arranges the large unseen peices inside of us and makes sense and order of the daily chaos that washes over us. Skipping right over the mind and working in the areas of the heart and emotion."

It was a beautiful night of music, of pride, of the knowledge that great things are occuring in the life of my son that will continue for a lifetime. I pray that the Lord would guide him during this time of transition to college and direct him like an arrow where he would have him to ultimately go and be. And I know that he will do that. - Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment